If my ex-husband is not paying either spousal or child support, what can I do?

UPDATED: Jul 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 19, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my ex-husband is not paying either spousal or child support, what can I do?

My ex-husband is on disability. He hasn’t given me anything for the last month. How does that work? He should be giving me $1200 a month for spousal and child support. Also, we purchased a truck together about 2 years before we got a divorce; he is the co-signer on the vehicle. I let him keep it knowing that I wouldn’t be able to afford the payments. Now he has decided that he can’t afford it and wants me to take it back. I know that if I turn it in I will owe money. It just seems unfair. I need transportation but how can I trade it in for another car if he isn’t giving me anything?

Asked on July 19, 2011 under Family Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

There are three different issues here:

1) Legally, you can force him to honor the terms of any divorce decreee or settlement. A decree is a court order; a settlement is an agreement or contract; both are enforceable by bringing a legal action. So if he has to pay you $1,200 per month and isn't, you can get a court order forcing him to--and if he still doesn't voluntarily, it may be possible to garnish wages or to hold him in contempt and jail him.

2) Practically, if he doesn't have money, you can't get it from him. For example, say that he only gets $1,000  a month--clearly, you can't get $1,200 a month from him. Also, some kinds of income, like many forms of disability payments, are protected from being garnished, so if his only income is protected income, you have no recourse against it.

You therefore should look to bring a legal action to force him to honor his obligations, but you have to be prepared that if he is in bad enough financial shape, it may be impossible to get what you are seeking from him.

3) As to the truck--if there is an agreement as to the truck, you can enforce that, but that maynot help you; for example, if the agreement is he has to make the payments and in return can use the truck, if he doesn't make the payments, all that might happen is it reverts to you. If you are both signors, if one of you (at least) doesn't pay on the loan or financing, the truck will be repossesses and you may be sued for the balance owing on it (and suffer damage to your credit); if he doens't have money or doesn't care, that doesn't provdie any leverage, however, against him to make him pay.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption