Can my employer keep me from coming back to the property once I’ve been fired?

UPDATED: Dec 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 18, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my employer keep me from coming back to the property once I’ve been fired?

I walked off the job/was fired 8 months ago. A month later I moved out of state. I have now returned for a visit. It was only a part-time job but my new manager never really liked me. Now one of them says I can’t come back into the store, even though a few of my friends asked me to come in and have lunch with them while I’m in town.

Asked on December 18, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Kansas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Yes, a former employer may generally keep ex-employees from returning to the work location; the employer could also prevent its staff from associating with a former coworker, particularly during work hours or onsite.

If you want to meet your friends, the best thing to do--to avoid, among other things, jeopardizing their jobs (they could be fired for socializing with you or having you at the store, if the manager told them to not do this)--is to meet with them after or before work, away from work, and simply not involve the former employer at all.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption