Can my employer force me to use vacation or sick time for restroom breaks?

UPDATED: Nov 17, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 17, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my employer force me to use vacation or sick time for restroom breaks?

We are given our standard breaks but, I use the restroom more then 3 times in a day. I am required to intake alot of water throughout the day, and I have been keeping it to under 10 minutes a day running to the other side of the office to use the bathroom. My old supervisor was fine as long as I attempted to keep it under 10 minutes a day (it takes 6 min to get to the bathroom from my desk) but my new supervisor is trying to make me use my vacation time to “pay” the company back for using the bathroom on their time. Is this legal?

Asked on November 17, 2010 under Employment Labor Law, Washington


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

The whole way that you have written the question makes one want to scream out a big old "NO' as soon as one finishes reading it.  What a ridiculous thing to want to use your vacation time to go to the bathroom.  My concern here, though, is that they will claim that you can not properly do your job and will terminate you as an at will employee.  But I am not saying to agree to this ludicrous set of terms  I might suggest that you seek help from an employment attorney in your area just on a consultation basis.  If you are required for health reasons to drink the water and these are the results you may have a bit more leverage than most. And ask about filing a complaint too.  Seek help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption