If I signed an employment contractbut then my employer stopped communicating with me, is this a breach of contract?

UPDATED: Nov 17, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 17, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I signed an employment contractbut then my employer stopped communicating with me, is this a breach of contract?

I signed and employment agreement for overseas work. But they did not deploy me.First I received and signed a contingent offer of employment from the company which they accepted which was followed by all of the processing paperwork and a contractual agreement for employment. This, I completed and turned in also. Since I was already employed overseas with another company, they asked me to get a physical exam done before putting in my resignation and send the results to them for their clearing me to resign, return to the States, have another physical scheduled by them, and final processing for deployment. They stop communicating with me after my return. I don’t know why.

Asked on November 17, 2010 under Employment Labor Law, Illinois


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

I would suggest that you seek help from an employment attorney in your area on this matter.  Bring the contract with you.  It will need to be read and interpreted.  Doing it in this type of forum will not help you.  You seem to have a valid contract contingent upon certain items, like the physical. From what you have written may I ask: were you given "clearance" to resign from your old job before you did and came back to the United States?  Was that clearance verbal or was it in writing (even an e-mail would suffice here) as it can be seen as reliance. Seek legal help.  You are going to need some clout to get to the bottom of the matter.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption