Can an employer withhold your check due to a medical call off?

UPDATED: Mar 21, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 21, 2016Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an employer withhold your check due to a medical call off?

They stated that I cannot pick up my check until I complete a day of work.

Asked on March 21, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, an employer may not do this--they have to pay you on time even if you called off medically or otherwise were not present, with one exception: if they pay by handing you physical checks at the office/workplace, they can require you to come in (as long as you have not resigned/quit) and get the check in person, and can hold it until you do--that is, they don't need to change their mechanism/procedure for paying to accommodate you. But other than that, employers may not withhold or delay employee pay for any reason other than the employee failing to complete documenntation (e.g. time sheets) needed to process their payroll.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption