If I bought a used car from dealership and discovered that it has frame damage, is there anything that I can do?

UPDATED: Jun 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 8, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I bought a used car from dealership and discovered that it has frame damage, is there anything that I can do?

I bought a car from a dealership a little over a year ago. Last month I attempted to refinance it and was told that the car didn’t qualify because it has frame damage. The Carfax report said no accidents but the report that the bank ran was Autocheck. I ran an Autocheck report and the vehicle was involved in 2 accidents; 1 causing frame damage. This information was never presented to me by the dealership. Is there anything that I can do?

Asked on June 8, 2011 under General Practice, Michigan


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You have a few issues going on here.  First, I don't believe this would fall under your state's lemon laws.  Second, you certainly had a responsibility to do your own check (carfax perhaps and others
), especially if this was an "AS IS" sale.  However, if the retail seller lied to you about the safety condition of the vehicle (frame is certainly a big one) and/or manipulated or altered the report, you have a voidable or unenforceable contract due to fraud in formation. You could go as far to say you don't even have a contract because you didn't have a meeting of the minds or bargained for exchange on the material terms.  Immediately contact the agency or agencies who regulate this entity and file a complaint. Explain in detail what you were provided and what you found. Provide copies and get ready to support your position.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption