What to do if a company won’t accept a cash payment?

UPDATED: Jan 13, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 13, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if a company won’t accept a cash payment?

My son and I went to pay his cell phone bill with cash and they refused to take it. They wanted a check and he does not have a checking account.

Asked on January 13, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Montana


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

A  business can require payment in whatever form that is madates (within limits of commercial reasonableness).  And not accepting ca cah payment ios reasonable. If your son doesn't have a checking account, then he should pay with a money order or cashier's check.  If he needs an account to obtain a cashier's check (some banks require this), then see if he can get one issued on someone else's account and then give that person the cash.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption