What to expect at sentencing for felony domestic abuse?

UPDATED: Jun 9, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 9, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to expect at sentencing for felony domestic abuse?

My husband and I got into a altercation. I am very pregnant and overreacted and called the police. I thought they could defuse the situation. I had no idea they had to make an arrest. I thought they could calm each of us each down. They are charging him with a felony. What will happen? The only mark I had was a mark on my finger from the key ring he tried to take out of my hand. No other marks. And no injuries. We have no past record with violence with each other.

Asked on June 9, 2011 under Criminal Law, California


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, in many states, especially California, and depending on the situation, presence of other minors, perhaps that you are pregnant, arrest is definite and the extent of the charges will be based on what the prosecution feels could be proved. If your husband did not ever lay a hand on you, and you are not afraid for yourself or your child, you may wish to discuss the matter with your own private counsel to really discuss the matter and see if your counsel feels this is something that could be dismissed. If so, you may wish to then consult with the criminal defense attorney assigned to your husband or hired by your husband and see if a dismissal of charges could be obtained. If your husband has any history of violence (with others and not necessarily with you) or any criminal history, chances are the prosecution won't drop the case but may (again depending on the facts) consider a plea bargain.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption