Can I file a civil protection order against my ex?

UPDATED: Jun 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 8, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I file a civil protection order against my ex?

My ex has written me love letters, love texts and has sent me cards stating how she misses me. She even wrote a letter to my girlfriend telling how I was sleeping with both of them, which I was. I have told her to leave me alone but she hasn’t taken the hint.

Asked on June 8, 2011 under Criminal Law, Ohio


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

This question is really best asked to an attorney in your area who can let you know what the standard is that the courts measure the behaviour of the party against whom you wish to file the order.  It is my understanding that there are various types of Civil Protection - sometimes called restraining - orders.  The most common are those issued in domestic violence actions.  Those can be issued in an emergency situation - "ex parte"- if there is imminent or present danger.  The situation that you describe now does not seem to give rise to the ex parte order that I just described.  But there are also Stalking Orders available.  You should speak with an attorney there.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption