Am I required to file an SR-22 form even if I was not convicted of a DUI but still had my license suspended?

UPDATED: May 30, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 30, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I required to file an SR-22 form even if I was not convicted of a DUI but still had my license suspended?

Was charged with an infraction form of a DUI around last year: I blew a 0.01%, very low. I got legal help, went to court, and had the charges dropped. However, the DMV still suspended my license for a year. It has been a year and now I am trying to reinstate my license, do I need to get an SR-22 form from my insurance company? I am already insured on my vehicle.

Asked on May 30, 2012 under Criminal Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Since you have your driver's license suspended as a result of the blood alcohol reading of 0.10% which the matter was resilved, under the laws of all states, once you have had your driver's license suspeced as a result of an alcohol related matter, you are required under the law to submit a completed SR-22 form to your state's department of motor vehicles showing that you are an insured driver for a motor vehicle on public roads.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption