What to do if I have been summoned for contempt of court?

UPDATED: May 30, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 30, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I have been summoned for contempt of court?

My final divorce decree required me to turn over my tax refunds until judgements against me were satisfied. I did not turn over the refund this year because the county clerk advised me that all the judgements she had on file were satisfied. know there is a remaining judgement for $2000 for lawyer fees but she has no record of this. Should this have been on file with her. If I pay these fees prior to the court date will the charges be null and void?

Asked on May 30, 2012 under Criminal Law, Indiana


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If summoned for a contempt of court in a civil divorce matter, often times the contempt is based upon your failure to comply with a final order or divorce decree issued by the judge. At the hearing, the Judge will inquire as to why you have failed to comply by turning over your tax refunds to satisfy the outstanding judgements. If you have proof that all judgments have been paid, and that there have been no record or evidence of additional attorney fees not recorded in the divorce decree, then the Judge may not find you to be in contempt. Contempt hearings are generally where the Judge will give you an opportunity to explain your actions before any sanctions are imposed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption