What to do if I have a UGMA account which was set up and I am now 24 years old but my father does not wish to sign over the paperwork to me?

UPDATED: May 19, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 19, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I have a UGMA account which was set up and I am now 24 years old but my father does not wish to sign over the paperwork to me?

The investment company say this is the only way I can get the account in my name as it is their policy. I never knew about this account until I was 24 and found out it was used as a tax shelter (from my father on the phone). I don’t have the money for a lawyer but that seems to be my only option and no probono lawyers wish to work with me on this case. I’ve contacted my father but he only cares more about his money than me. What should I do? Can I file on my own?

Asked on May 19, 2012 under Estate Planning, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation.  You could file things on your own but it may be very difficult to do so.  I would first ask the court to place a freeze on the account and a restraining order against your father to prevent him from clearing out the account.  As the custodian he has the ability to access the funds but under the law the funds a re technically yours and the UGMA is irrevocable.  Try legal aid if no attorney will take the matter pro bono.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption