What to do about a bench warrant for failure to appear?

UPDATED: May 30, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 30, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about a bench warrant for failure to appear?

I missed my court date for driving under suspension. I got the dates mixed up and I thought the court date was on a later date than what it was. I then recieved a letter in the mail saying that I had a warrant out for my arrest. I looked up my warrant and it said I have a bench warrant for $300. I want to take care of this and move forward. I have never done any time; the most I have ever done is get a seatbelt ticket. I don’t feel im a bad citizen and I’m young so the thought of going to jail even for a small amount of time scares me. How can I fix this?

Asked on May 30, 2012 under Criminal Law, Ohio


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

A bench warrant is often issued when a person has failed to appear for their designated court date. Some courts issue warrant fees which often can be waived if the Judge so chooses. While on warrant status, you can be arrested at any point, so it is always best to clear this up sooner than later. Some courts will allow you to walk in to court and go before the judge to address the warrant once the warrant fee is paid and a new court date is set. Other courts may require you to turn yourself in to local law enforcement before a new court date is set. Call the court in which the warrant has been issued and ask them what specific steps are required to clear up the warrant and obtain a new court date to address the driving under suspension.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption