If a $1500 deposit for my daughter’s wedding reception was paid but she then canceled, can I go to small claims if they won’t refund our money?

UPDATED: Apr 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a $1500 deposit for my daughter’s wedding reception was paid but she then canceled, can I go to small claims if they won’t refund our money?

My daughter cancelled 7 months out. No contract was ever signed stating refund of deposit policy. Only in an email after the fact was a policy of 50% will be refunded if the date is filled. My daughter’s initial phone conversation at the time with the reception hall she was told they will see what they can do about a refund. But since I paid it and emailed to get it back I was given policy.

Asked on April 10, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The law does not require refunds to a party of a deposit if that party was the one which cancelled the service. Since your daughter cancelled the wedding reception, she and you would only be entitled to a refund if the reception hall had voluntarily adopted a policy of providing refunds and you fully complied with (and the situation called for under) the policy's  terms and requirements. From what you write, you would only seem to be entitled to a 50% refund if the date is subsequently filled, otherwise nothing. Had the reception hall canceled, the situation would be very different--in that event, you would likely be entitled to a full  refund.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption