What kind of lawyer do i need to defend a person who is being charged with reentering ilegaly the United states?

My father was deported 15 years ago after
doing time for a conspiracy to sell drugs, he
now try to re enter illigally because my
grandmother is suferring from cancer. Do i
need an immigration lawyer or a criminal
lawyer or both to represent him?

Asked on April 7, 2016 under Immigration Law, New York


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Just because you may want someone to stay in the US does not mean that they are eligible to do so.  If someone is trying to enter the US unlawfully, unless they are eligible to do so or can get a waiver of a bar to reentry, they will not be permitted to do so.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.