What do I do if the other driver’s insurance denies responsibility?

A driver ran a red light and hit me. He ran away from the scene. He was not the
cars owner and was not on the insurance. The owner’s insurance company determined
this was not covered by them. What do I do to get reimbursed for my deductible
and the cost of a rental car to get to work?

Asked on January 26, 2019 under Accident Law, Pennsylvania


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 1 year ago | Contributor

Your recourse is to sue the registered owner and the at-fault driver for negligence. You would file one lawsuit naming both of them as defendants. Your damages ( monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit) should include the property damage (cost of repairs to your car), your deductible, and your rental car expense. 
You will need to mitigate (minimize) damages by renting a rental car with a reasonable cost. If you were to rent the most expensive car you could find, you have failed to mitigate damages and your damages would be reduced accordingly.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.