What are my rights if I did not receive my final check today?&

My termination was last Friday. I was told by a shop steward that my final pay was mailed today but state law requires that I should have received it today.

Asked on June 22, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Under PA law, a final paycheck is due on the next regularly shceduled payday. Accordingly, if your former employer is late in paying you, then you can either file a claim in small claims court for what you are owed (plus court costs) or you can file a wage claim with the state department of labor. However, for simply sending a paycheck out a few days late, it may not be worth your time and trouble in following through.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Your final paycheck was due under PA law on your next regularlly scheduled payday. If you have not had what would have been (had you not been terminated) your next payday yet, it is not late. If it is late, you can report to your state's department of labor, which can investigate and take steps to make sure you get, including fining the employer if finds any delays unjustified.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.