If my mother died and we are now auctioning off her home but the executor cannot be there, can he appoint someone to sign the papers?

Or does the alternate executor take over that responsibility? How or whom should the check be made out to? Her Will listed an executor and an alternate.

Asked on November 20, 2014 under Estate Planning, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The executor can appoint somone to be there for him--it could even be the alternative executor, but (s)he'd have to be appointed in writing to do so (it's not automatic). The check should be made out to "the Estate of [deceased person's name]."

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.