What to do if my husband was involved in an auto accident and we don’t have insurance?

We found out that we did not have insurance and there was some property damage done. The homeowner is giving us an amount that is up to 5 times the amount of the estimates we received independently. He will not provide written estimates and is now threatening us that he will go back to the police and inform them that we were uninsured. He is also threatening us with his wife being a paralegal if we don’t pay the ridiculous amount requested. We do have a valid insurance policy, but this particular vehicle was not on it at the time. What are my rights? Do i need to pay the requested amount due my error or is this extortion?

Asked on September 10, 2013 under Accident Law, Rhode Island


Tricia Dwyer / Tricia Dwyer Esq & Associates PLLC

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Hello. First, you ought not drive any further unless and until you obtain proper insurance coverage. Since you state you are being threatened, you should confer privately with an attorney for that reason alone. All the best.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.