Indiana IRS garnishing my wages because of a clerical error?

UPDATED: Jul 3, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 3, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Indiana IRS garnishing my wages because of a clerical error?

A year ago I was sent a letter from the IN IRS about several thousand dollars I supposedly owed for a liquor license. However I have never had a liquor license. When I worked as a hotel employee I had a serving license, but that was all. I called IN IRS and was told it was a clerical error, I never heard anything about it again until today, my HR dept. told me that the IN IRS was garnishing all of my wages, now I can’t even buy food for my family. I have no idea what I should do or how long this will take to fix, or if I need a lawyer. Thank You

Asked on July 3, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, Indiana


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I think you need a lawyer, because whatever papers need to be filed, whoever needs to be tracked down, it needs to be done quickly and it needs to be done right the first time.

The only thing you did wrong, here, was not follow up the telephone call, a year ago, with a letter.  While government agencies at all levels often encourage you to deal with them by phone, it's too often sadly true that while what you say on the telephone will be recorded and used against you if convenient, what is said to you on the telephone doesn't always have the same effect.  Confirm it in writing, right away, so that you can prove it later.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption