What to do about undisclosed damage on a used car?

My husband and I purchased a used car about a year ago. We went this weekend to try and trade and the dealer informed us that the car had frame damageWe asked the dealer who sold us the car if there was any major damage and they said no. Is there anything we can do legally?

Asked on May 30, 2012 under General Practice, Tennessee


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If the car dealership who sold you the vehicle that you have with frame damage knew that there was such damage before the sale to you and did not disclose this material fact to you, if you can prove this non-disclosure you may have the right under the law to cancel the purchase (rescind) or sue for the difference in value between what you paid versus what it was worth at the time of the sale.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.