If I’m not legally separated or divorced, is my husband responsible for helping me keep a roof over my head?

UPDATED: Jul 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m not legally separated or divorced, is my husband responsible for helping me keep a roof over my head?

My husband has an address in another town but still receives mail here, and will not give me a dime to help me. I am on SSI and disabled.

Asked on July 14, 2011 under Family Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to speak with a family or divorce law attorney, immediately. If you file for divorce, you *may* be able to get some support immediately, and you'll almost certainly be able to get some support and a share of the marital assets once the divorce is finalized. However, until you file for divorce, the law does not step in to tell married adults how they should run their finances and domestic relations. That is, the law does not require one spouse to support another while the two of them are married. Therefore, you may need to look to divorce in order to make sure you receive the economic support to which you may be legally and morally entitled. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption