How to get out of a gym contract?

UPDATED: May 30, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 30, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to get out of a gym contract?

We signed a contract with a cheer gym for my daughter for th upcoming season, joining their team. The program has yet to begin and no practices have yet taken place. We just learned her grades werent up to par at the end of the school year and immediately notified the gym she wouldnt be able to participate. They stated, per the contract we signed, we are liable for all the payments this upcoming year, regardless. Are we bound to this? We have not yet given them any automatic payment draft info either. Just the initial $290 deposit.

Asked on May 30, 2012 under General Practice, Tennessee


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

In order to determine whether you are obligated under the terms of the gymnasium contract that you have written about, you need to carefully read the agreement in that its terms and conditions control the obligations owed to you and that you owe the provider.

Whether you are obligated to pay the full contract price even though your daughter is unable to participate due to her poor grades is determined from the language of the contract you write about. Any ways to end the agreement without recourse would be stated in the agreement.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption