If I got a DUI inone state,can I get a drivers license ifI move to another state?

I got a DUI a few years ago (in CA) and haven’t finished my requirements but I am looking to relocate for work very soon to WA or MT. I just wanted to know if I would be able to get a license in those states?

Asked on September 25, 2010 under Criminal Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

States now share information with eachother regarding DUI's and DWI's and license suspensions. etc., under the Interstate Driver's License Compact.  Were your requirements part of your plea or in lieu of suspension of your license? Then you need to complete the requirements or things could get bag: probation suspended, license revoked, etc.  You may be able to complete the requirements in the new state that you move to for work but you need to get permission to do so.  As long as you make sure that everything is done correctly in California there should be no problem with getting your license in the new state.  Get some advice from a legal professional in your area.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.