If an elderly person became a “ward of the state,” does the family have a claim to the “unclaimed property” listed?

My great-grandfather (before I was born) was taken care of by my grandmother. He got alzheimer’s and my grandmother wanted to get him full-time care in a home. Her siblings objected, and they went to court for guardianship. He became a “ward of the state,” and all of his property was given to the state. His name now appears on the “Unclaimed Property” website. Since he was a ward of the state, do we, the family, have any claim to the property? As far as we know, there was not a Will. He and my grandparents and her siblings are deceased.

Asked on June 26, 2012 under Estate Planning, Maryland


John Arthur-Mensah

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You certainly may submit a request, however since there was no will you may not have a right to property. I would need more information. However I do have free initial consultations and very afforadable flat fees and rates. I am sorry for your loss.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.