I’ve been married for 16 years and my husband is cheating, will he have to pay me alimony?

We have no children. I have a part-time job for minimum wage; he earns $500 per week. I have no where to live; I don’t make enough money to rent. Our house was his dead mother’s and his brothers gave him their share. It has a mortgage owed and we have been making payments.

Asked on July 23, 2012 under Family Law, Georgia


Paula McGill / Paula J. McGill, Attorney at Law

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you can prove adultery, you will have grounds for divorce.  Otherwise, you can file under irreconcilable differences.  

Also, you may be entitled to spousal support based on a number of factors, including the length of the marriage, the relative earning capacity of each spouse, and the relative education of each spouse.  In addition, if you have been making mortgage payments and paying for improvements on the house, you may be given credit for a portion of those payments when the court assigns the division of marital assets and liabilities. 

You should consult with a lawyer in an office visit to determine your rights

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.