What can my friend do if there was a slanderous video posted about him on YouTube by a group of individuals about a month ago?

Although, he can prove that the defamation has occurred and has felt the negative repercussions of it on his Facebook page and elsewhere would it be more benefical to have the video removed by YouTube administrators for defamation of character and seek a lawyer, if any is necessary or should he seek a lawyer right away?

Asked on July 23, 2014 under Personal Injury, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

He can't force Youtube to take down the video; federal law immunizes websites like Youtube from any liabilty for the posts of other people on their site, and with that immunity, there is no way to force YouTube to take the  video down. If your friend knows who posted the defamatory video, he can take legal action agains them directly, seeking either monetary compensation or a court order forcing them to remove the video.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.