What to do if f I had nasal surgery a few months ago and then just 3 months after the surgery I got suckered punched in the face at a club?

The person who punched me is an ex-friend and I would like to know if I could sue them without them knowing I had a nose job. I don’t want them telling all our mutual friends. Also, would I be able to sue for the amount I paid for surgery; it was $14,000? Lastly, how can I collect if this person is jobless?

Asked on July 5, 2012 under Personal Injury, Florida


Leigh Anne Timiney / Timiney Law Firm

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The short answer is yes, you can sue the person who punched you.  If you were to bring a lawsuit against this person, you can only reasonably recover money for the any damage the person caused you by punching you.  You will not be able to have them cover the costs of your nose job which was three months old.  Also, in bringing a lawsuit, you often times have to submit several years of back medical records in which case your previous nose surgery would become public knowledge.  Lastly, it would be extremely difficult to collect from this person if they are unemployed.  Bringing a lawsuit is costly and time consuming and you often times have to expose a lot of your own personal information so it is best for you to strongly weight the pros and cons before moving ahead with a suit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.