How long before I can dispose of personal property left behind by an ex-roommate who was not on the lease?

I had my partner living with me and when the relationship went sour I had him move out. This was about a month ago. He is not on my lease and he still has personal property in my apartment. I have asked him several times to collect his belongings and all I get are excuses. He moved out 4 weeks ago.

Asked on December 9, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Arizona


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If a former roommate has vacted a rental leaving personal property behind, the best way to dispose of it is to send a letter to him certified mail at his forwarding address requesting that the items be picked up by a stated date and if not, they will be disposed of.

If the items are worth less than $300.00 collectively, then you can dispose of the property any way you want. If the items are worth more than $300.00, I suggest that you take the property to an off site rental company and place the items in the former roommate's name with his forwarding address on it. Write the former roommate where the items are keeping a copy of the letter for future use. If he does not keep current on the rent, the off site storage company will auction off the property to pay the overdue rental fee.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.