How can I get a modification of visitation on short notice due to extreme circumstances unfavorable to the physical and mental welfare of my child?

My ex-wife is legally entitled to visitation of our daughter for 4 weeks, beginning in 2 weeks, but has relocated without formally notifying me of her new address. She has no phone in the new home for my daughter to call me or police in an emergency and my daughter will be forced to share bed with her teen-aged stepsister who is currently reporting instances of sexual abuse by her father.

Asked on June 22, 2012 under Family Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

This question is best asked to an attorney in your area.  Ask about bringing an emergency petition for modification of the agreement "in the best interest of the child."  You may have to prove that the child is in some form of immediate danger.  Get help asap.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.