can you file on a checking account that is overdrawn?

I had a “friend” that ask me to cash a couple checks for her.Unknown to me her account was closed and my funds were not enough to cover the checks the credit union cashed. Now my checking account is overdrawn by 2000.00 and the “friend” had her phone disconnected. If i file bankruptcy can the checking account be put in? I live in Ohio.

Asked on June 10, 2009 under Bankruptcy Law, Ohio


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you file BK then all your debt will be discharged, including the bank debt.  If you have student loans however, those will not be discharged.  I suggest that you file the BK if you truly cannot pay your debts and start over.  I do not know enough facts to determine whether you will qualify.  I suggest having a lawyer help you with the BK filing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.