If my ex wife and I share custody, can she force me to get old police reports for my current girlfriend who was convicted of child abuse/neglect over a decade ago?

In the mid 2000’s my current girlfriend became addicted to prescription opiates

and got pregnant. Her child was born with opiates in her system after the

prescribing doctor died and my addicted girlfriend did not get off opiates during

her pregnancy. She was charged with child abuse and or neglect. My ex-wife did a search online and saw the charges and is now threatening to take me back to court and take my children away from me, or have the court order that my new girlfriend not be alone with my children, if I don’t obtain a copy of the police report from the incident for her to see. Can she do this?

Asked on August 21, 2018 under Family Law, Arizona


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Your ex wife is concerned about your kids but is not really going about things properly here.  First off she can not "order" you to get a copy of the police report.  She can, though, bring a proceeding alleging that your girlfriend cause potential harm to your kids.  At that point you would need to produce evidence that she has turned her life around and that was a one time incident.  I truly fail to see how the police report will calm her fears.  It will only help fuel her fire.  I would speak with an attorney and get your ducks in a row.  You are in for a fight. Good luck.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.