What is best to do regarding my husband’s promise to continue support during our separation?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is best to do regarding my husband’s promise to continue support during our separation?

My husband and I have separated but have no plans for divorce yet. I haven’t worked in more than 10 years, however I’m thinking of finding something to keep myself occupied. My husband is still supporting us and he promised to do so for our 2 kids but who knows if he might change his mind. I’ve heard about

alimony/spousal support since I haven’t worked for so long. If I find a job

now, would I lose that alimony? Should I forgo that since he promised to

support us? Is there something legal to make that promise stand?

Asked on August 20, 2018 under Family Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

His promise to support you is not enforceable--you are relying on his good will and intentions. Maybe those are good, maybe they are not. If he stops supporting you, which he can at an time,you could file for divorce and seek alimony/spousal support--but that could take many months or years to adjudicate and resolve, and in the meantime, where you get the money to live on? People get themselves into trouble when they focus on what might be good for a future legal case rather than on what is good for their lives and finances now. Unless you are comfortable counting on your husband continuing to voluntarily support you, get a job or other means of support (e.g. rental property? a small business you create? etc.) now.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption