Settlement modification

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Settlement modification

My divorce was final 3 months ago. I was trying to limit the financial burden on my husband by not asking for spousal support and giving him 3 years to pay a portion of the equity of our home. I allowed him to keep the house, and we currently have about 400k equity. Well my circumstances have changed and he’s refusing to assist in taking care of our 19 year old daughter food, shelter, health insurance so now I want spousal support ordered and the 100k settlement he owes me within 90 days. I didn’t even ask to split all our assets, and his rare muscle cars, etc. He has the money. What are my chances of now getting spousal support and my settlement in not 3 years but 3 months?

Asked on August 21, 2018 under Family Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You need to get legal help NOW.  Was there a settlement agreement?  Were these promises and waivers based upon these promises put in to writing?  I hope so becuase you are going to have a tough time otherwise.  This agreement is a contract and setting it aside is not easy.  Get help.  Good luck.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption