Can I sue a company for not returning what I bought from them?

I had a small, new business do work for me and I bought a $200 box from them. There was a warranty on the box and the guy came and said he was going to fix it at home. He took the box 5 months ago

and I haven’t heard anything from him, nor does he answer my calls. What actions can I take to get my box back or the $200 that I paid for it? I have left many voicemails and texts and phone calls to no avail.

Asked on November 4, 2017 under Business Law, Georgia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can sue; you have a cause of action in this matter. The person in question either needs to return the box or refund your money. Since they have failed to honor their obligation to you, you can file for a breach of contract. The suit would be brought in small claims court since the amount in question is only $200. If you win, you will not only receive your money but be entiitled to reimbursement of all filing fees.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can sue him--he needs to either return the box or return your money. He is not allowed to keep both. You would sue him for breach of contract (not honoring the obligation to give you the box you paid for, and also not following/honoring his warranty). For $200, suing in small claims court, on a "pro se" (as your own attorney) basis is the onlly cost effective way to proceed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.