What can I do if a university charged me $1500 for a summer course I did not knowingly register for or attend?

I received a bill of $1478.38 from a university’s collection agent for a summer class I did not register for. When I entering my information, I thought I was signing up to be contacted w/ more info about registering for the class. I never received any further emails, letters, or calls about enrollment so I decided to take the class at my current university. I did not pay any enrollment or registration fees or fill out any financial aid, or attend the class ever. The dean will not answer me about the issue. What can I do legally?

Asked on July 14, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Connecticut


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The best way to dispute the $1,478.38 charge for a class that you supposedly signed up for but did not is to set up an appointment with accounts receivables with the university that you attend and go over the back up documents that the university claims that you submitted for the particular class that you are being charged for.

Try and resolve the dispute at the meeting. Follow up with a confirming letter to the person that you meet with concerning your meeting and the resolution of at all. Keep a copy of the letter for future reference and need.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.