If a small group of friends and I are forming a youth group and want to be able to accept donations, what would we need to do in order to legally do so?

We want to collect donations and maintain a bank account to manage them. The group is a faith-based organization.

Asked on July 11, 2014 under Business Law, Massachusetts


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

What I think that you mean is that you wish to set up a not for profit charitable religious organization. First, if you are a youth group and under 18 then you do not have the legal capacity to do so under the law plus you would need to establish that you are an established religious group. Are you associated with a Church or Synagogue or other established religious group?  Then maybe the Pastor, etc., can help you here. If the group is established under his or her reign then maybe you can do as you would like.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.