Whose name should a car be titled/registered in – the parents or their 18 year old daughter?

UPDATED: Feb 14, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 14, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Whose name should a car be titled/registered in – the parents or their 18 year old daughter?

We bought a car for my daughter when she was a minor. Now that she is of age, I assume it’s a good idea to transfer the title to her (and register it in her name and get her own insurance) rather than keeping it in our name, as this protects us legally if she has an accident. Is there any argument (other than the obvious that she will own it and not us) for keeping it in our name? I also assume that there is a good argument for getting it in her name (and not ours) in terms of protecting us from liability.

Asked on February 14, 2012 under Accident Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If your daughter is now an adult, I would have legal title to the vehicle she is driving placed into her name and have her obtain her own policy of insurance in her name. By having this done, your own exposure for personal liability beyond any policy of insurance that you might have would be significantly reduced in my opinion.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption