Where to file conciliation court papers?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Where to file conciliation court papers?

I was in a car accident about a year ago and the driver promise to pay me. The
insurance card she gave me was not hers and had expired. I have not heard
anything from the person and want to file a small claims court paper against her.
She lives in a different county than the accident occurred. Where do I file the
court papers? Where she lives or where the accident occurred?

Thank you.

Asked on November 6, 2017 under Accident Law, Minnesota


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You are the plaintiff.  The person you are suing is the defendant.
A lawsuit can be filed where the plaintiff resides or where the defendant resides or where the claim arose (where the accident occurred).
For convenience purposes, you should file your lawsuit where you reside.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption