When to go to my employer about my CTS condition?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

When to go to my employer about my CTS condition?

I am a chef at a hotel in Maryland. I was recently diagnosed with bilateral carpal
tunnel syndrome by my PCP and referred to an orthopedic. I am not sure when I
should go to my employer about my condition since my PCP will not tell me it
was caused by my work or to use my own insurance to see the orthopedic. Or
should I go to my employer after I see the orthopedics?

Asked on January 23, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

It depends why you want to go to your employer. If you need some reasonable accommodation or change at work in order to keep working, you need to go to the employer when you want the change. For this purpose--obtaining a reasonable accommodation--it does not matter if the condition is caused by work or not: an employer must make reasonable accommodations to any disability, regardless of cause. (A "reasonable accommodation" is a change in rules or procedures, or the provision of some assistive device or technology or furniture, which is not too expensive or disruptive for the employer but facilitates the disabled person doing his/her job.)
If want to file a worker's comp claim, then you need evidence that the condition was caused by work.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption