What’s the best option for getting my significant other a visa?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What’s the best option for getting my significant other a visa?

My boyfriend and I want to get married and wanted to know what the easiest fastest way to get him over here is.
He’s currently in Mexico and I’ve gone 3 times this year already to see him but my work doesn’t allow me to take a lot of time off. I don’t want to move over there because my job is here and I want to continue my education and to be honest I have nothing in Mexico place to liveas he lives with his parents
I did some research and have seen there’s a fianc visa to marry over here or the option to marry then put in an application. And if I do that is it likely he’ll get a visa?

Asked on October 13, 2016 under Immigration Law, Washington


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The quickest way will be determined by whether or not your boyfriend has a tourist visa which enables him to enter the US as a tourist/visitor.  If not, you can either file a fiance visa on his behalf or get married to him in Mexico and then petition for him as your spouse.  Both of those processes will take about 10-12 months on average.  Please let me know if you have any additional questions or need assistance.  I handle these types of petitions for my clients on a daily basis.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption