L2 EAD to a Green Card status

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

L2 EAD to a Green Card status

I am working for a IT firm in the U.S. for the last 3 months now; I am on L2 EAD status. I have a Bachelors Degree and more than 12 years of work experience in India. Can my employer file a green card for me. Is a person on L2 EAD status eligible to get on to a green card.

Asked on October 14, 2016 under Immigration Law, Texas


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Yes, but the employer is the one that has to decide whether they want to sponsor you for the employment-based permanent residence process or not.  You can certainly request that and they need to decide.  It is certainly doable.  Typically, however, employers will want to have you be in the position for at least 3 months but some employers may require a longer initial period before they commit to the green card process because they want to ensure that you will be there long term before they start expenditures on this process.  you can find out what their general policy in this regard is and then specifically for you what they will agree to.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption