What type of incorporation is best for my business?

UPDATED: Jan 4, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 4, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What type of incorporation is best for my business?

I would like to begin a business that will provide a service through smartphone app. It will link customers to service providers, similar to Uber. Is it best to begin as an LLC, Corporation or other?

Asked on January 4, 2015 under Business Law, Florida


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

There are a lot of variables to consider in deciding on a form for your business.  It is rarely a good idea to start a small business as a C-Corp. because you will be subjecting yourself to double taxation and all sorts of meeting and filing requirement without much increased liability protection.  You also probably do not want to be a sole proprietor.  The real choice is between a straight LLC and an S-Corp., which is really just a filing status with the IRS but it affects how you pay yourself, among other things.  Best to meet with an attorney or a tax professional, preferably an enrolled agent.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption