What should I do? Long question. Details below.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do? Long question. Details below.


I write this inquiry hoping that you can guide me in what should I do. I’m a Colombian physics teacher who has a Colombian equivalent to a bachelor degree called Pregrado. My wife is a chemistry teacher, she has a masters degree from a Colombian university too. I also have a 14 year old son who is in the Colombian equivalent to an American 9th grade. We want to immigrate to the U.S., so we first thought of my sister, whos an U.S naturalized citizen to petition for us with a family petition form. Then we thought of calling some schools there where my sister lives and make ourselves hired so we could ask for an EB-2 visa. We also looked up some J-1 programs for teachers but they are only 3 years long, so we thought about the adjustment of status by asking for the same EB-2 visa there in the U.S. Which of those options is the quickest, the easiest and the most convenient to us?

Asked on February 4, 2019 under Immigration Law, West Virginia


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

EB2 option would be the fastest option for you but even that will take a while.  In the meantime, if you do get a job offer from a school that can petition for you or your wife or both, you can also try to get a H-1B visa that will allow you to work lawfully in the US while the green card petition is pending.  THis is something that is subject to an annual cap and is not a guarantee.  The petition through your sister as the petitioner will take about 10-12 years so it is probably not the solution that you want to pursue.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption