Tenant evictions

UPDATED: Jun 8, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 8, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Tenant evictions

I have tenants I allowed to move in the rental property a week early from the official move in date, but when that date came they gave me excuses not to pay the deposit and always paying the rent late between 3-14 days. I am tired of dealing with them. How can I leagally evict them and where can I get the legal forms.

Asked on June 8, 2009 under Real Estate Law, California


E.H., Member, Calfiornia Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Though the answer really depends on what your rental agreement states, the usual process is that a landlord who wants to end a month to month agreement can do so by serving a written notice on the tenant (can be 30, 60 or 90 days).

In addition, a landlord can give a tenant a written three-day notice under certain circumstances.

On California’s Department of Consumer Affairs website, you can read about the eviction process:


If you have any questions, feel free to call them or consult one of the attorneys.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption