What should I do If I admitted to committing a crime that I did not commit just because the police threatened me?

UPDATED: Sep 15, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 15, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do If I admitted to committing a crime that I did not commit just because the police threatened me?

I bought 6 dozen eggs with the intention of egging a friends house as payback for a prank he pulled on me. I ended up not doing it and just throwing the eggs away. A week later police show up at my house accusing me of throwing eggs off of a bridge onto an interstate highway at cars. I spent a good hour and 20 min standing in my yard telling them I didn’t do it . They told me, and my Girlfriend separately at different times that if I didn’t tell them I did it then they were going to make it a felony and they were going to come back the next day and take me to jail. So I admitted to it. Can I still fight this in court?

Asked on September 15, 2010 under Criminal Law, Wisconsin


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Get a lawyer. Now. Do not speak to police, prosecutors, etc. until you do.

The short answer: if the police made certain kinds of improper threats and/or didn't "Mirandize" you--i.e., they didn't advise you of your right to be silent (your right to not incriminate yourself) and to have an attorney, it may be possible to throw out the confession. This is something a criminal defense attorney can evaluate for you, based on all the facts of the situation. If the confession cannot be thrown out, it will difficult to fight the case otherwise, given your admission. Good luck, and remember: you DO have a right to remain silent, and you DO have a right to a lawyer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption