What do I do with a Trust account that was set up by a lawyer now that my mom has passed?

UPDATED: Mar 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 6, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do I do with a Trust account that was set up by a lawyer now that my mom has passed?

My mom recently passed away at the beginning of the year. There were significant funds that were unclaimed prior to her death. A lawyer was hired to help reclaim those funds. This lawyer set up a trust account to pay for my mom’s expenses (including the lawyer fees). Now that my mom has passed away, I am having a difficult time getting any answers to questions like what was left in the account, what are the next steps, who’s paying the nursing home and hospital fees, etc. All I get is that the firm is no longer involved. There was over $350K in the account.

Asked on March 6, 2012 under Estate Planning, Massachusetts


Hong Shen / Roberts Law Group

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Find out who is the trustee and get hold of the trust document. The fund in the trust after paying all expenses, must be distributed according to her will or intestate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption