got a speeding citation in texas and i live in florida. do i have to go back to texas for court?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

got a speeding citation in texas and i live in florida. do i have to go back to texas for court?

My wife and i where on a trip to texas from florida because we live in
florida and we were in texas on our way to my uncle house and thats
where we were staying and we got pulled over and the officer gave us a
citation and said the driver had to report to court.

Asked on May 8, 2019 under General Practice, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If you don't have the option of pleading guilty to the offense and paying the ticket by mail, then if the court requires a personal appearance (i.e. even you have a lawyer to represent you, you must appear, too), then yes, you'd have to appear or potentially face license suspension or a "bench warrant" for arrest.
Every court differs in its rules and procedures: call the court clerk's office and ask if you can plead and pay by mail (or online)--if you can and it's worth doing so to avoid returning, then do this. If not, ask if you have an attorney appear without you and if necessary, submit a written affidavit; if so, hire a local lawyer to do this for you. But if you don't have these options, you will have to appear.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption