What to do if ex-girlfriend no longer lives with me but keeps giving out my address and phone number to debt collectors?

UPDATED: Dec 10, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 10, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if ex-girlfriend no longer lives with me but keeps giving out my address and phone number to debt collectors?

She has been moved out for 2years now but keeps handing out address and phone number to debt collectors. They keep calling and mailing garnishments. We tell them and keep returning mail to sender that she has not lived here for x amount of time. However, the creditors say then why did she give us this number and adderss? How do we put a stop to this? It is just not 1 or 2people but many many collectors.

Asked on December 10, 2010 under Bankruptcy Law, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

I am not sure where in the penal code this type of matter would fall.  Possibly harassment?  She gives false information for the purposes of defrauding creditors and with the intent to harass you?  I might talk with an attorney on the matter and see if there is any type of request for an injunction to stop her that you can file.  Otherwise, it may be best for you to change your phone number and possibly unlist it.  On the other hand, collectors can call you to verify her new address and not get in trouble.  That may be a way to get her to stop.  Throwing it back in her lap.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption