What can the defendant do if he is absent the day of the appeal court in small claims court due to a family death?

UPDATED: Oct 7, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 7, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can the defendant do if he is absent the day of the appeal court in small claims court due to a family death?

Asked on October 7, 2011 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you were the defendant and were unable to make a small claims court appeal due to a family death, most likely your appeal was dismissed due to your failure to appear. If so, you need to write the court clerk and the other side advising what happened seeking to have a new date for the appeal immediately. Keep a copy of the letter for future reference.

At the same time you need to file a motion to set aside the dismissal of your appeal due to the family death and serve it on all parties. The court will then set a hearing date to decide your request. Make sure you attach actual documents such as a funeral notice or a death certificate to support the basis for your request.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption